Skip to main content

Global Scholars Reflection

    Looking back on my experience as a Poly K-12 student, the Global Scholars Program stands out. Frequently in our community, we talk about a Poly or a Pasadena “bubble,” a sphere of separation between us and the greater LA, USA, and international communities. The Global Scholars Program allowed me the opportunity to pop that bubble and truly learn about the world around me. As a result of the varied sources we were exposed to- international experts, news, personal stories and even history- I gained a surprisingly well rounded perspective on what it means to be a global citizen. Especially after nearly two years of isolation from my peers and from the rest of the international community, the empathy and connections that were built individually and within our cohort continue to be of paramount importance.

For me, my identity as a Global Scholar began to really take hold after I was able to facilitate the discussion portion of our International Women's Day Celebration event. It was an equally empowering and humbling experience to speak with Khin Sandi Lwin and Ambassador Eunice Reddick. I was very moved by the similarities they expressed in their experiences as women in powerful international experiences. The strength that they shared definitely motivated me as I looked forward to my culminating Grant Proposal and Capstone Project.

From my time with the Global Scholars Program I learned what Empathy Into Action really meant. I learned that international physical distance does not exclude international emotional closeness. As Vishakha Desai reminded us in her event this past November, "the world is our greatest family."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vishakha Desai Offers the Poly a New Perspective on Identity

  On November 11, the Poly community was lucky enough to speak with and hear from the distinguished author and intellect, Vishakha Desai. With her book, World as Family as the framework for the discussion, Poly students were given the opportunity to engage with Desai through the Q&A structured event.  I was deeply moved by Desai’s perspective on identity. When reading her book, I found myself having a difficult time understanding how her mother was able to be both an ardent feminist and advocate and a woman who maintained her cultural tradition. To me, it seemed as though Desai’s mother’s feminism would be hindered by practices and values she chose to maintain. When given the chance to ask Desai about this dichotomy, she explained that identity does not have to be so clearly defined. We all have many identities, she shared. For Desai, she is an American-Indian, an Indian-American, a New Yorker, a woman from India living in New York, and so on and so forth. None of these i...

Policy Memo in Response to KhinSandi Lwin's GIP Event

Dear President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, As a newly appointed advising foreign affairs officer, I believe it to be my duty to address the current Myanmar conflict. Yes, I am aware that this conflict is not new, and yes, I am aware of the seemingly interminable complications surrounding this conflict, but still, I implore you to reflect on both this memo and the Myanmar coup with great seriousness. In the United States, and as citizens of the globe, we must actively support our core values of democracy and basic human rights.  In 1962, when the military first took over what was then referred to as Burma, these aforementioned international values were immediately eradicated from the Burmese social/political landscape . After 60 years of a complete military takeover, and a blatant disregard for the lives of the citizens of Myanmar, the military junta dissolved . This opened up opportunities for the Aung San Suu Kyi-led National League for Democracy (NLA) political pa...

Takeaways from Eunice Reddick and KhinSandi Lwin's International Women's Day Celebration

This UNA-sponsored International Day of Women Celebration: Supporting Women in Global Leadership program was one of the most influential events I’ve had the opportunity to attend and participate in. I was fortunate enough to mediate the discussion portion of the event- something that first really frightened me, but ultimately turned out to be so incredibly illuminating. During the event, we had the distinct privilege to hear from Ambassador Eunice Reddick, American diplomat and former ambassador to Niger, Gabon and São Tomé and Príncipe, as well as (for the second time!), Khin Sandi Lwin UNICEF Representative with a 35-year career working in ten countries. I was so struck by the similarities in their experiences. They both shared almost identical anecdotes about subtle but impactful disrespect they faced as women in their field. Even as such distinguished and accomplished members of the international community, these two women still find themselves being dismissed and talked over by m...